RAW LOCKS - Betty & OLAF
RAW LOCKS - Betty & OLAF
Betty. She is a big glorious beast.
Her locks boast 9" and push Zeilinger Woolen Mill to the ragged edge of what their machines can process, but they did it. It gave us the most spectacular tweedy Farm Friends yarn and that nubby fuzzy woolen Irish feeling texture is due to her luscious locks.
You asked for RAW fleece so here it is!
Betty is a Romney/Teeswater/Blue Faced Leicester which is to say she was bred for long wool locks, and does she EVER have lovely locks. Betty could be shorn twice a year and still give us gorgeous fleece, but hence you can't get a shearer to come for just one which means that when we do shear her they are LONG LONG LONG.
Betty was added as a BFF for Gladys when the two other lambs we bought with her died in the first 48 hours. That was way back when Luke had a pet flock and Sherry promised him she'd knit him a sweater from it if he kept the sheep at his farm. (That escalated quickly!) They became fast friends and were a two pack from that day hence. When Gladys went into the birthing stall Betty stood outside like a proud partner. She nuzzled the babies.Until the day Gladys refused to feed her quads. Betty was done with Gladys. She's not forgiven her to this day. To be fair, all of the flock was pretty underwhelmed with Gladys' behavior and inattentive motherhood and made it known. Betty has standards, don't mess with her.
Which is why we coined the shirts WOAH BIG BETTY. It's a love/swear relationship with that one, Betty does what Betty wants whether her hooves need trimming or not.
Don't F with Betty.
- Sold by the ounce, buy as little or as much as you want.
- Quantity 1 = 1 ounce
- Discounts given for a pound- enter a quantity of 16 and the price will drop automatically
- Staple length varies but averages 6-9"
- We have washed her fleece gently by hand in unscented eco-soap to remove the vegetable matter & lanolin but this is generally raw fleece. It will contain VM and is priced as such.
- Betty spent half the season in a coat, but due to our terribly wet 2021 we removed it to protect the fleece.
- Free from burrs etc. It has been skirted, but again not mechanically processed
- A spinners dream in lovely long wool.
the one and only
Then there's OLAF
What he lacks in size he makes up for in sweet demeanor and luscious chocolate brown locks. His are a bit shorter than Bettys but still an easy 6-8" long and curly. If you're looking for stunning Gotland locks for spinning, we suggest giving Olaf's curly goodness a run!